11.19.2011

Fashion or just rude? Numéro #117


When  I first stumbled on these images from 2010, I saw a woman with an afro, no problem. Then I said this same woman carrying a child, no problem there. I did have a problem with the woman's sudden transition from a white complexion with blond fro to browner complexion with a brown fro. Then I had a problem with the images of her "darker" self with the child, because why couldn't they just get a black model, what are they trying to achieve?  I smell controversy.

To be honest, I find it offensive mainly because the intentions are in the wrong place and intended to stir up attention to sell more magazines. They aren't the first to do it, and won't be the last, but has it come to a point where there is no divide between negative associations and fashion.


If it was a black model, would the impact be the same? Of course not.  Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment