12.23.2011

Sealing your ends

This is basically locking the moisture in your hair. There are a number of ways to seal your ends and over the past year or so I have picked up some tips which have helped me to keep my ends 
 moisturised. 
Snip Snip
The most important step is to always ensure your ends are trimmed every 2-3 months to get rid of split ends, because if your hair is split it can't retain moisture. So clip them off.

Wet hair?
Water is so important for your hair + is the best + most natural form of moisture. Your hair should be damp + not wet. Normally after washing my hair, I flick it around to get as much water out then I use a towel and pat my hair (not rub). After my hair is damp enough, I apply my butter oil.

**After saturating my hair with water, I then use Aussie's 3-min reconstructor deep cond. as a leave-in conditioner (1 teaspoon).

Oils or Butters?
Well this really depends on your preference but I find that Shea butter works better for me because it's thicker so I have more control over it when I apply it to my ends +  my sister loves Jamaican Castor oil or a light oils like argan oil, olive oil + coconut oil. These are popular choices for sealing your ends (or why not try mixing them) retaining moisture.

After Oil?
Protective styles like flat twists, braids etc are an option but for those with a TWA like me, you could do Bantu knots with bobby pins.

Stop touching your hair
Low manipulation is the best way to grow your hair, especially when your hair is wet and fragile, therefore more prone to breakage. 

Ageing ends
The further away from the root, the older it is. So of course your ends are pretty old so sometimes they need more nutrient so double up/ triple up on the oils because of lower sebum access.

image source:  Tomiko Fraser

No comments:

Post a Comment