12.23.2011

Too young for braids?

Angelina Jolie has been criticised for putting braid extensions in her daughter Zahara's hair. Hairstylist to the stars DaRico Jackson stated:

“If Angelina wants Zahara to be in touch with her roots and have her hair braided then she can do that with the child’s own hair and she doesn’t need to add extensions. She is far too young for that and Angelina is creating insecurity in the little girl that what she has is not good enough. Growing up with siblings who have long flowing hair, Zahara may grow to feel that her own natural hair is not pretty enough, and that without the fake hair she is not beautiful. She should be made to embrace who she is. There are many cute styles that Zahara can have without adding fake hair at such a tender age.”

I don't understand what the big deal is. Angelina has always said that she allows her children to speak their mind and make decisions on their image + clothes, so it's likely the kid wanted it. I know that from about 7 years old I started wearing braids just because I liked that they were different and my mum's used them as a protective style. So does that mean that I was not embracing my heritage, no, does it mean my mum was lazy, no but it does mean that it's was healthy for my hair, from my experience, yes. If the stylist was to argue on the basis of the health of her hair + roots then I would probably agree with him because for some kids it can be a bad idea, but to base it on thinking that her mother believes she is more beautiful with the braids just so she can fit in with her siblings, is a narrow-minded point of view.  To be honest, the problem with the black hair issue is because of people like him. Why do people have such a problem with weaves + hair extensions? No one is asking you to put in your own head but when other people do it, they must be going against their heritage + not  "in touch with their roots".  It's like the relaxed vs natural debate, but that's for another post.

Less focus on her hair and more on adoption problems in the community, but what do you guys think? Has he gone too far or you agree with him?

No comments:

Post a Comment